© Reuters. PRECIOUS-Gold prices climb as U.S. bond markets warn of recession
Aug 15 (Reuters) – Gold prices rose on Thursday as an inverted U.S. bond yield curve alarmed investors about rising recession risks, while the protracted Sino-U.S. trade war added to fears of a global economic slowdown, increasing the appeal for safe-haven assets.
* Spot gold was up 0.3% at $1,520.19 per ounce at 0100 GMT.
* U.S. GCcv1 fell 0.1% to $1,526.80 an ounce.
* The U.S. Treasury yield curve US2US10=TWEB temporarily inverted on Wednesday for the first time since 2007, an indication that is widely seen by investors as a sign of an upcoming U.S. recession. USD/
* Economic data from China and Germany suggested a slowing global economy, hit by the unabating U.S.-China trade war, Brexit and geopolitical tensions. On Wednesday, U.S. officials said China has made no trade concessions after U.S. President Donald Trump postponed the 10% tariffs on over $150 billion worth of Chinese imports, the latest sign that efforts to reach a trade deal were going nowhere. The MSCI All Country World Price index , which incorporates readings of 49 equity markets across the world, shed 2.1% to its lowest level since June 4. MKTS/GLOB
* The , which measures its value against a basket of six major currencies, was little changed after a 0.2% gain on Wednesday. USD/
* Investors are focused on the Federal Reserve’s annual symposium next week. Traders see an about 74% chance of a 25 basis-point rate cut by the Fed this September. FEDWATCH
* SPDR Gold Trust , the world’s largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, said its holdings rose 0.91% to 844.29 tonnes on Wednesday. GOL/ETF
DATA AHEAD (GMT)
* 0130 Australia Employment
* 0830 UK
Retail Sales MM, YY
* 1000 EU
Reserve Assets Total
* 1230 US
Initial Jobless Claims
* 1230 US
Philly Fed Business Index August
* 1230 US
Retail Sales MM
* 1315 US
Industrial Production MM July
Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.